Thursday 30 May 2013

Real Techniques Core Collection.

Hey there lovelies! 

Today's post is my review of the Real Techniques Core Collection. I've been meaning to do this post for a while but kept forgetting to take pictures, then when I did remember my brushes were dirty! I've finally gotten around to doing it so without further ado.... 


As I'm sure you're all aware, Real Techniques are designed by pro make up artist Samantha Chapman, and are designed with the aim of making professional looking make up easy for us normal peeps. 
The core collection consists of 4 brushes which are aimed at creating a flawless base. As Ms Chapman says, "great looks start with a flawless base". 


I'm not a massive fan of the cheap plastic packaging that this collection came in, however I usually throw packaging away so I guess it doesn't matter too much. I'd have preferred something sleeker looking, perhaps in a more eco friendly cardboard box? The set also comes with a black 2 in 1 case and stand. I travel a lot to see my boyfriend, (who very nicely bought me this set - good boyfriend points Arron! =)) so the travel case has been very handy for keeping my brushes together, and out of harms way. I doubt i'll ever use it as a stand, however. 

Each collection has a colour code. The core collection, as you can see, is gold. This is particularly handy if you are in a rush and need to find a certain brush quickly. There's nothing more annoying that having to empty your entire make up bag or pot of brushes just to find one thing! 


The buffing brush is probably my favourite from this collection, along with the contour brush. This brush is meant to be used with powder and mineral foundation. Now, I don't use powder foundation, so I have found a use for this brush as a stippling brush. It's a fairly similar shape and size to the Real Techniques stippling brush anyway, so I have been using this with my Rimmel Match Perfection foundation, and find that it creates a flawless look, giving a seamless finish, that my other foundation brushes just don't give. 


The contour brush is meant to be used with highlighter to contour the cheekbones. Again, I don't always use this brush as it's intended purpose. I find that this brush is perfect as a blusher brush. I like to apply blusher to the apples of my cheeks, and sometimes my blusher brush is just too big, however this one allows me to create more of a subtle glow. 


I think maybe you're starting to see a pattern here...I use this brush not as a foundation brush, but as a concealer brush, as I just find it too small to use with foundation. As a concealer brush however, it's the perfect size. 


Finally we have the detailer brush. This is my least used brush, as I have been trying to use it as an eye brush, and failing. I've recently actually looked at what this brush is meant for; concealer and/or lips, and hung my head in slight embarrassment. I've since began using it as a lip brush and I feel that I may get a bit more wear out of it now. 

Although I don't actually use the majority of these brushes for their intended purpose, I have found that they do work for me in my own way. All brushes are soft to the touch, don't absorb too much product and do help to create more of a flawless finish to my skin (however impossible a mission that may seem). I'd highly recommend this set as a starter kit for people who want to start using a higher end brand, but don't want to spend those higher end prices. This kit, and each of the others (I think) retail at £21.99 at boots, however Amazon occasionally sell them for a few pounds cheaper. 


4 comments:

  1. Great post hun! I absolutely love these brushes and use them all the time, love the quality, they are SO soft! :) I also don't use them for their intended purpose but they are still fab hehe! <3

    Andrea | RosyChicc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely =). I tried using a couple of them for their intended use but didn't get on with them. As long as they work for you personally I don't see a problem! =P Xx

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this post as I bought these (although yet to take out of packaging... Almost a month later!) and it's nice to see such an honest review :)

    Love Kate at prettylittleus

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're brilliant brushes, I just find that they're more useful for me in different ways the the ones intended! Glad you liked the post! Xx

      Delete