Monday 15 April 2013

The Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask: Review

Hello! 

I know I harp on about The Body Shop like they're the bees knees, and you're probably sick of hearing it, however I had THE biggest haul in January, and for those of you who read my blog regularly, you'll remember that i'm in the middle of a spending ban until June 1st, meaning that I won't have any new purchases until then so here comes another review from my stash of already owned goodies... 



The Seaweed collection from TBS is something I'd been wanting to try out for a while, but with this mask alone being £12.00, I held off. That is until they had a mahoosive 40% off sale on everything online including sale items. Enter Gem, who wiped out the stockroom i'm sure, and ended up roughly £60 lighter....(probably not the wisest of moves, but I was 'stocking up')....picking up anything and everything she could lay her beauty mitts on, including the Seaweed Ionic clay Mask, for the more reasonable price of £7.20. 

I've always thought my skin fell into the 'normal' category, however the past year I've been noticing changes to my skin, some dry areas, some oily, some normal, depending on what my skin feels like really. At the time of buying this, my skin was having a massive attack of oiliness, so from all the varieties of masks available, I decided to go for the one suited for combination/oily skin. 


I alway love the purifying effects that clay masks have on the skin, drawing up any impurities, especially blackheads, which i'm sure you'll all agree are, along with spots, the skins nemesis. 

The mask comes in a 100g plastic tub, with packaging typical to TBS style. The mask itself is a thick creamy texture, which dries white. This is helpful to know when the mask is ready to take off, however directions do state to apply in a thin layer around the face, being careful to avoid eyes and lips, and removing with warm water after 10 minutes of using.
 A lot of reviews i've seen of this complain that there are no directions, however I found them easily. They are located on the bottom of the tub, if you peel back the first layer of the sticker. 

After reading reviews of this, I felt like I needed to leap to its defence! So many people have complained about 2 things: the scent, and stinging sensations. 

The scent: The clue is in the name really, it's a seaweed based product, so it's hardly going to smell like flowers! It has a fragrance that is hard to explain, it's almost the smell of the sea, but more intense somehow, and has notes of earthy tones, whilst also being incredibly fresh. I guess whether you like the smell or not is up to you as an individual, however I quite like it, and occasionally you'll find me having a cheeky sniff. 
Stinging Sensations: So many people have said that this product makes their skin sting so much that they have to remove it within minutes of applying. I can't comment too much on this as that has never happened to me. I get a tightening sensation, which to me says that the mask is working, however i've never felt uncomfortable wearing it. All I can suggest is that if you have sensitive skin, maybe this mask would be too harsh for you? 


The one negative thing I will say about the Ionic clay Mask is that it claims to purify and cleanse the skin. To me, this means to remove impurities. Like I mentioned above, to me, this means those pesky little blackheads. Now, the clay does work its magic and bring any blocked pores to the surface, however in my experience, it does little more to remove the impurities, instead leaving them on the surface of the skin. For me, this is only half a job, however at least it does bring them to the surface, so I can't complain too much! 

Overall I think that this little mask does a decent job at making my pores appear smaller and my face tighter, however for the full price tag of £12, i'm not sure i'd be venturing out to buy another! However if you want to buy it, I just received a 35% off your order voucher code. Just enter 35OFF at the ckeckout! Enjoy!

Have you used this mask? Do you like it? 


Spending Ban Update: I'm doing well...well - I'm holding up OK. My lovely boyfriend did allow me to  order some Barry M Gelly nail polishes as I had tried desperately to get my hands on a few shades before making this little bet, so i'm now the proud owner of Papaya, Prickly Pear and Greenberry! However that's the ONLY allowance I'm allowed. He won't even let me buy any new make up brushes. *sob*. Still, £10 is a stake here so I shall make do until June 1st! Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment